A Symphony of Unspoken Words - Gunahon Ka Devta

I finished reading it last night and wanted to type out how I felt right then and there, that is generally how I pour out my feelings about a book before moving on the next day. However, there are some books, characters, and stories that linger around me for a few more hours, and this was one of them. 


Reading it as a woman, I disliked many things - specifically how women were portrayed and the overall misogyny of the book. I felt a deep sense of आक्रोश  toward चन्दर  initially, both for refusing to accept his own feelings and, even more so, for forcing सुधा to disregard hers as well. It was such an "on and off" of emotions

I hated how Chander forced Sudha to get married, and I felt such pity for Sudha for doing everything for her 'देवता', for being so devoted. However, that's my perspective as a woman living in 2026. Since the book was written in 1949, I took some time to revisit it through that historical lens. It started to make sense why it was written that way, maybe that was  the reality of the time.

I still dislike Chander’s character, but putting myself in his shoes, I understand where he was coming from. He felt he couldn't be with Sudha, because of social responsibilities and because everyone around him put him on a pedestal as a 'देवता,' he himself started feeling the same, he felt forced to hold his principles impossibly high-even though he was just a human.

I really liked how straightforward पम्मी was, she brought a much-needed perspective to the story. And I cannot stop adoring बिन्ती. She was almost too pure for that world, no one deserves her kindness- so naive, yet she experienced life in a way that made her more mature than anyone else, including Sudha and Chander.

One more character I would like to mention is गेसू  She was smart and practical, she had her own heartbreak arc, but she chose resilience and made me believe that self-destruction isn't the only path for lost love. 

Overall, the story kept me gripped throughout. I loved the way author has written the conversations between two characters and best inner dialogue sequence of Chander was something to appreciate the writing style.

The ending was tragic, though I could see it coming from the moment Sudha got married. This book didn’t make me cry, perhaps because I’ve read books like निर्मला  which are on another level of tragedy - however, there were certain conversations that left me with a lump in my throat and made me feel deeply for the characters. I enjoyed it, and now the internet suggests I should read रेत की मछली so I will see about that.

The last page of this book will always stay with me, this last line “गंगा की लहरों में बहता हुआ राख का साँप टूट-फूटकर बिखर चुका था और नदी फिर उसी तरह बहने लगी थी जैसे कभी कुछ हुआ ही न हो।”  

I know the book is over now but I am also gonna live in Dharmveer Bharti's world for a little longer and will do some more तर्क-वितर्क! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE KITE RUNNER - A MUST READ

Excerpts from my life : Why I love Mondays?

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared